Monday, April 25, 2011

Diaper New

I can't get this song out of ny head. You've had that experience, right? For absolutely no reason, a song plays on continual repeat in your brain. Sometimes its peppiness inspires your day. Sometimes the words just produce aching memories. And somtimes, the words just call out to be addressed.

Such is the case with Dayenu.

If you are unfamilar with this classic Passover song, you are lucky. It is the ever circular, never ending saga of thanks for one thing in case another is not available. Hence the beloved phrase ; "If only".

My son plays this song constantly. I mean CONSTANTLY on his guitar. He doesn't know all the versus, but he knows the refrain and loudly proclaims it. I love listening to him sing, play, explore music, but.....I can not hear this song anymore!!!!

I have created my own version, just to break through the tedium. It was inspired by the daughter, a creative genius in her own right, albeit pampers are her greatest force of reckoning ( or is it wrecking...)

All apologies to all Jews for my irreverance, but I bet you will be humming this tune also.

It goes ( to the beat of Dayenu);;;

" Diaper new, Diaper new, Diaper new, Diaper new...Di-A-Per, Diaper New..... if we only had the pishy and we didn't have the poopy, just the pishy not the poopy, Diaper new! ....."

You get the drift.

The son hates my take on his song, having fits if I adlib. But I am chuckling. I have no designs to re make any other classics. I'll leave the creative songing to Mama Doni....don't know who she is? Google " Mama Doni Band" You will not be disappointed. My son loves " Rasta in Pasta" and I know my Passover Karma means next year he will learn all the words to that song and be singing it along with " The song whose name must not be spoken"..Da...no ,don't say it, you will have to sing it.

Right now there is just enough time to listen to the wife complain about all the bread items she can not eat and the bemoaning of the Matza plague ( fills you up and sticks around awhile)

I think its funny that we are working on limiting wheat because of the carbs for my diet, but for these 9 days, it is excrutiatngf or her ( and fellow observers) to be without. I wonder if there will be a rush on La Nova and Bagel Jays at Sundown on Tuesday??? With some of my dietary changes, I think often that I could follow a kosher diet, I eat the same kind of food combinations. Then I think of cheeseburgers and that thought subsides. But there is something to ritualistic foods and seasonal and festive feasting and general obediance to nutritional planning that makes one more appreciative and aware of the choices, abundance and obligations that can come from religious or health mandates.

There is just one other parodyI would like to tackle. A Peewee Herman Purim Spiel. I can see it now....
The word of the day, " Haman:  AHHHHH !! For the rest of the show whenever anyone says " Haman" grog real loud. There can be Miss Yvonne, oh no,  Miss Esther, the prettiest woman in Sussonland. And Jambi and Chairy.....and...... Well, if I really do write this, you can see it at a future Spiel and I promise, next to continual Dayenu, it will only feel like.....just a little prick.

No comments:

Post a Comment