Friday, April 29, 2011

Exploding Bananas

Angry Birds has nothing on getting a binky into a crying babys mouth. Or for that matter, feeding food to a finicky eater. The daughter is now to be consuming solid foods. At least thats what the Pediatrician says. Tell the daughter. She rolls the food around on her tongue like a somalier and spits it out if it doesn't pass her test.

I do not like doing the feedings and have passed it off so many times that the wife is threatening to put a sign on her that says " Feed this baby"

I don't like the smell of mushy bananas.

I especially hate cleaning the remains of poorly timed ones who did not survive the micro wave.

But I will admit to something elses. I hate planning meals for others.

One of the hardest things about diabetes is trying to format and regulate an eating plan that works for me.
I know what to eat, I know when to eat it. The trouble is I cook, shop, and everything else for 3 other people. And sometimes, the Universe laughs the more I try to stick to plans. There are nights that there are 4 seatings for meals; daughters,mine, son and wifes. We really do try to eat as a family every night, but there are times the 3 yr old doesn't want to eat, the 6 month old just wants to be held, the Da is hungry and must eat on time and the wife is exhausted and needs a break. It happens to every family and it is not a big deal.
But it is annoying and disruptive for someone who is supposed to follow a prescript of meals, tests and meds.

And so I have been off and I feel it and it leachs into everything else, including my lack of enthusiasm for baby food.

But I know I have to be on my game, for her and for the son. I have let lazy, sweet habits take over many of his choices. As he has many markers for possibilty of diabetes in his life, I really should set a good example for choices. Many of his choices are somewhat set ( for a 3yr old..this week he likes dinasaur chicken nuggets, weeks ago, he liked bologna stars)

So we try. I take him shopping and give him the job of picking a fruit and vegetable. He likes learning about the different choices and though he doesn't always try what he picks, he still is experiencing a wider pool of food choice.

It isn't easy juggling the food needs of a family, but it can be done. I guess. I am still learning and still reeling from the highs and lows, ups and downs and smartness of.....just a little prick.

No comments:

Post a Comment