Thursday, April 21, 2011

Keys in Brooklyn

Night vision is not one of my strong points. I've never liked driving at night, but mostly because I get tired early. I like to sleep when the sun goes down and rise with it in the morning.  So the thought of a late night excursions is not pleasant. But the prize is picking up my sweet children and wife who will have been having their own adventures due to interrupted flight plans because of keys that went to Brooklyn and didn't stay in Staten Island.

Diabetes management comes into play here too, because I usually have my big meal of the day early and try to to do my last blood test of the day @ 7:00 or 7:30. My next test will be when I wake up @ 6:20 a.m.and begin the next days meds and pricks. My son loves helping me " test ' my blood. I let him put the strip in the meter and he watches while I set up the lance, poke, drip and measure. He always grimaces when I stick my finger and I tell him it doesn't hurt ( well most of the time it doesn't hurt that much) but he gives me his sympathy anyway. He is so concerned when the blood drop comes out my finger. equally, he is amused when the the test strip sucks it it in, beeping as it does ( "just like the groceries at Wegmans" he tells me). Waiting is not long till the numbers tell just how well I am doing. " Do you have good blood today, Da?" he asks.

I have been unsure how to explain Diabetes to him in language he understands. He is a big sweets pusher and he loves to share. His feelings get really hurt if you can't accept his kindness. But he has learned that I can't eat a cookie with him and he has taken a liking to my fiber bars. I don't want him to be frightened and so far its all just matter of fact. But soon, I will teach him to Dial 911 and learn what to do if an emergency happens and how to react if Da gets sick. He likes to practice firedrills ( we will be having one soon  now that the weather is good) and he feels secure knowing our family meeting place for an evacuation drill is on our neighbors front porch. So, the next step is learning how to call for help when an adult can't and learn that lesson without fear or panic.

In the mean time, he probably doesn't realize that I am quite vigilant on getting enough sleep, eating on a schedule that coincides with meds and testing and drinking lots of water and getting some exercise.

So when that schedule gets off kilter because of keys in Brooklyn, I get a little testy. I know he, and my wife and daughter have the worst part of tonights journey and I have to remember that the most important thing is that they come home safely.

To adjust, I ate a little later, tried to rest ( because no matter what time I go to sleep, I will be up at 6:20 a..m. and so will my boy) and even asked a friend to ride along for the pickup. I try to be flexible, but I am not that good at it for some things.And since I do live on a schedule, it can affect health if the time, nutrition , sleep etc. are altered.

So tonight, may the skies be friendly, the roads safe, the car warm and the children drowzy and easy to put to sleep upon return. And any discomfort from late night ventures, may it be no more than.....just a little prick.

No comments:

Post a Comment