Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Its raining,it's....

Weather arguements with the wife are my least favorite. To be clear, I am a weather freak. I love watching radar, tracking storms, calculating storm predicability. I also love watching weather. I love all things weather related. I even took a course from the National Weather Service to be a severe weather spotter.

So when the wife asks" What's the weather gonna be like today?" and I tell her, the last thing I want to hear back is "oh, we'll see" . I mean, its a science, not sorcery. If radar is tracking a 10 mile spand of storm clouds coming across the region, chances are it will rain.So a wise person heeds that warning, they do not walk the baby to the park saying " its so sunny now, it probably won't rain"

I love living in a region that you can experience all 4 seasons ( and sometimes more) in a single day at certain times of the year. And because of that unpredictability, it does require some vigilance to the forcasts. The son and I tangled last night because he wanted to play right at the moment that the evening news weather report was going to be shown. It is true Murphys Law...children will lay dormant and quiet, seemingly self involved until the phone rings or the weather comes on t.v..The more important the call or need to know the elements outside, the more urgent the childs need to have your immediate attention.

Our house has a beautiful picture window in the living room with a big cozy chair in front that lovingly is known as the " the weather chair". It is the best observation station around for all things outside. Early on , the son  and I used to watch storm clouds roll in and time storms by counting thunder and lightning strikes.
Later, the son would watch birds fly right across the porch and then over the front roof, but the little guy would look for them in the house, since he thought that where they had processed to in their flight.
My greatest pride was his first Hail storm and our first call to NWS (National Weather Service ) to report it. ( Did you know hail doesn't show up on radar and needs ground confermation and that said reports are primarily used by insurance companies for damage claims???  See , learned something from a weather geek)

Now, the daughter loves looking out at squirrels and bunnies and does the same bird tracking that her brother did on the living room ceiling. She loves watching rain drops splash, hit and drizzle down the window and I love watching her try to touch them through the glass.

But more than anything, I love knowing that I can check radar, look up temps, cloud movements, systems and isobars and know with assurance whether the son needs boots or a light jacket for school.
And with that knowledge, comes the cringe when the wife says" Oh, they just make stuff up to get you to watch the news...look its sunny out" Yeah, a cringe and .....just a little prick.

No comments:

Post a Comment